Homework/ Study Links:
Pesticides & Indicator Species - (HW)
A one year course for students who wish to continue their study of Biology beyond National 4 level.
The National 5 Biology course:
- Contributes to relevant biological knowledge and skills.
- Develops an understanding of the way in which biological principles can be applied to issues facing society.
- Fosters positive attitudes to the environment.
- Provides a general basis for employment in areas relating to biology.
Entry Level Recommended
- National 4 Biology pass, with internal assessments and Added Value Unit passes at an exceptionally high standard.
3 units of 40 hours and an Assignment
Cell structure, transport across cell membranes, producing new cells, DNA anf=d the production of proteins, proteins and enzymes, genetic engineering, photosynthesis and respiration.
Cells, tissues and organs, stem cells and meristems, control and communication, reproduction, variation and inheritance, the need for transport and effects of life-style choices on animal transport and exchange systems.
Life on Earth
Biodiversity and the distribution of life, energy in ecosystems, sampling techniques and measurement of abiotic and biotic factors, adaptation, natural selection and the evolution of species and human impact on the environment.
- Higher Biology or Human Biology.
- Higher education: HND or HNC in Biological Sciences.
- Employment including work based training, S.V.Q. qualifications.
Further information on any of these options is available from your subject teacher, Pastoral Care teacher and Careers Officer.